- Say THANKS to those senators that supported the measure and ask them to continue their support if there is a veto and to vote to override it. Vote count with senator contact info
- Ask Governor Ricketts to sign LB 75 into law on Twitter, Facebook, or by contacting his office using the talking points below:
- Volunteer with NCR. Sign up to volunteer here!
- Restoring civil rights, such as the right to vote, may encourage greater stability among formerly incarcerated individuals.
- By disenfranchising individuals with felony convictions, we are further isolating them from participation in civil society.
- Voting can instill a sense of obligation and responsibility to one’s community. Individuals who feel a connection to their fellow community members are less likely to victimize others. In one study, among individuals who had been arrested previously, 27% of non-voters were rearrested, as opposed to only 12% of voters.
Be sure to log your activity and report your senator’s response!
- Pick 1-2 key points you want to make on the bill or resolution, personal stories are even better.
- Identify yourself as a constituent
- Be respectful and kind when asking the senator to support LB 75 or oppose LR 6
- Share your experience with NCR! We use your feedback to guide our lobbying efforts. Email Shannon with updates on what your senator or their staff tell you. Email: email@example.com
.Advocate Toolkit & Talking Points
- NCR Advocate Toolkit
- Talking Points – SUPPORT
- Automatic Voter Registration (LB 290)
- County-to-County Portability (LB 112)
- Elimination of the 2-year waiting period for returning citizens (LB 75)
- Notice of Restoration of the right to vote for returning citizens of the right to vote for returning citizens (LB 76)
- Online application to request an early mail ballot (LB 197)
- Talking Points – OPPOSE
Want more information? Check out studies and research on our Legislative Initiatives page
- Phone-banks – Help us recruit advocates in key legislative districts
- Friday, Apr. 28th, 2PM – 4PM, Omaha – Kumani Center (4200 N. 30th Street)
- Saturday, Apr. 29th, 10AM – 12PM, Lincoln – NCR Office (1327 H St., Suite 102)
- Sunday, Apr. 30th, 2PM – 4PM, Omaha – Kumani Center (4200 N. 30th Street)
- Pizza & Postcards – Write letters to state senators thanking them for their support and asking for their vote to override the expected veto
- Thursday, Apr. 27th, 12:30PM – 1:30PM, Lincoln – NCR Office (1327 H St. Suite 102)
- Monday, May 1st, 5:30PM – 7PM, Omaha – Home of Bri McLarty (1807 S. 45th Street)