This past weekend, our Board of Directors met to discuss our successes and unfinished business for 2016. This past year has been a whirlwind of activity and growth for NCR.
Some of the highlights of 2016 were, but not limited to:
- Added three full-time voting rights community organizers to our Voting Rights Program to focus on educating community members about their rights, activating voting rights advocates, empowering the emerging electorate, and pushing for policy reforms to modernize our election system.
- Launched www.GetRealNebraska.com to provide a Nebraska–specific online voter registration portal and vote by mail request website that also activates voters on issues impacting young Nebraskans.
- Expanded the Young Women’s Circles program to 4 schools. “Circles” is a young women’s leadership program that connects successful Nebraska women with middle school women for mentorship and leadership training.
- Expanding our neighborhood leadership program programs from ONE Omaha to Lincoln through our Build Up Your Block program that will work in neighborhoods in Lincoln.
- Our youth civic leadership programs reaching over 2500 students across the state.
- NCR’s Dawes Middle School and Sherman After School programs seeing record attendance and growth.
The board met to discuss our strategic initiatives for 2016 and set new ones for 2017 and beyond. Some of them include but are not limited to:
- Continued investment of resources and expansion of our youth civic leadership and civic health programs across the state.
- Creation of programming centered around media literacy, civil discourse, and deliberative dialogue.
- Increased communications and dialogue about Nebraska’s civic health and how to improve it.
NCR is proud to have a dedicated board of directors who work tirelessly to ensure a modern and robust democracy for all Nebraskans. Thank you for all you contribute to helping NCR be successful!